The ports of departure and arrival are very accessible and the ferry ride between Playa and Cozumel takes only 40 minutes.
Historically Playa del Carmen has been the gateway to Cozumel and in fact, Playa del Carmen owes its initial growth to the popularity of this route.
The fastest and cheapest way to get to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen is by ferry. You can also get there by car or motorcycle via ferry but it is more expensive.
Here we tell you all the details of this very common transfer within the Riviera Maya.
There are 3 companies offering transportation: Ultramar, Winjet and Barcos Caribe.
|Telephone number||(998) 460-3084||9878721588||Not provided|
All companies use the same ports and operate every day of the year.
Children under 5 years old do not pay ticket.
The cheapest way to cross to Cozumel is using the Barcos Caribe service; but a slightly more comfortable experience is using Ultramar.
The schedules change according to the season and the company, but basically the 3 companies offer trips every 30 or 60 minutes from 6:45 am to 11:00 pm from Playa to Cozumel and from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm from Cozumel to Playa.
The schedules for each month can be consulted on each company’s website.
The cost of the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel is around $13 USD ($250 Mexican pesos) for a single trip on Ultramar.
Playa del Carmen – Maritime Terminal
It is located on Calle 1 Sur and the beach. It can be reached via Quinta avenida, very close to Paseo del Carmen, the ADO bus terminal or Parque fundadores (Founders Park).
Cozumel – Maritime Terminal
It is located right in downtown Cozumel.
The distance between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel is 18 kilometers and takes 40 minutes by ferry.
Crossing to Cozumel by car
It is possible to cross to Cozumel by car using the ferry services of Transcaribe and departs from the Calica port. The price starts at $500 Mexican pesos ($25 USD).
- If you are going to buy your tickets directly, do not do it in travel “agencies” near the port, their prices are much higher and they usually lie about the schedules. You’d better go directly to the port and you can buy them at the ticket office just before boarding.
- If you are not sure of your return time, better buy a single ticket. The savings on a round trip ticket is not that great and it’s not worth waiting more than an hour or missing the ticket if the company’s trips are already sold out.
- If you are sure on which day you will visit Cozumel you can look for discounts by booking online.
- If you are a Quintana Roo resident, all 3 companies offer a special discount.
- Remember that tickets are only valid for the company where they were purchased.