- It is a natural aquatic park that offers a unique experience in contact with nature. The park has a large lagoon of crystal clear water, where you can practice various water activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, swimming and diving. There are also trails for hiking and observing the local flora and fauna.
Xel-Há means “place where the water is born” in the Mayan language. According to legend, this place was considered sacred by the ancient Maya, as it was the meeting point of several subway rivers and the Xel-Há lagoon. During pre-Hispanic times, it is believed that it was used as a ceremonial and water cult center.
If you are looking for an experience of adventure and relaxation in a natural environment, Xel-Há is for you.
What to do in Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha is known for its large natural lagoon and crystal clear waters, where snorkeling is one of the most popular and exciting activities you can do.
With a great variety of marine life, including more than 90 species of tropical fish and 80 types of corals, Xel-Há offers a unique opportunity to explore and appreciate the beauty of the underwater world. In addition, the park is home to a protected species of pink snail and is a sanctuary for its conservation.
One of the highlights of snorkeling at Xel-Há is the chance to experience the phenomenon of the halocline and thermocline, a visual effect that occurs when dense seawater mixes with freshwater from rivers. This creates a transition layer between fresh and salt water, resulting in an impressive and unique visual effect.
The park offers visitors the opportunity for unlimited snorkeling during operating hours, which are from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm. Snorkeling equipment, including fins, life jackets and visors, are available free of charge in three different modules (red, yellow and green) and can be returned at different points in the park at the end of the day.
2. Tour the Xel-Há River.
Over one kilometer long, the Xel-Há River offers you a fun and complete adventure, with two options to explore it: using snorkeling equipment or on a specially designed floating rim. The first option allows you to observe the underwater life, while the second offers a more relaxing experience and the possibility of resting while enjoying the scenery.
The river tour has numerous platforms to stop and admire the scenery, as well as additional activities such as the Piedra de Valor, the Quebrada, the Trepachanga and the Salpichanga, which add excitement and fun to the ride. In addition, once the river tour is over, visitors can continue exploring the trails surrounded by jungle, rocks, caves and cenotes that the park offers.
The Xel-Há River is considered the most extensive attraction and one of the park’s must-see attractions, as it offers a unique experience of immersion in nature and an opportunity to observe marine life and enjoy fun and challenging activities.
3. Xel-Ha Cove.
Xel-Há Cove, located within Xel-Há Park, is a spectacular aquatic system that stands out for its unique confluence of salt and fresh waters. Unlike other coves, Xel-Há is not only an entrance from the sea to the mainland, but also the mouth of several freshwater channels that are part of the longest subway river system in the world.
This fascinating place offers visitors the opportunity to swim or snorkel with more than 400 species of plants, animals and fish of various sizes and colors that coexist in harmony in this protected ecosystem.
4. Salpichanga Zip Lines.
The Salpichanga at Xel-Há Park is a unique and exciting experience that you can’t miss if you visit this magnificent place. It consists of a circuit of six zip lines where you will slide on a hammock or swing, feeling the speed and excitement as you ride the ropes over the river.
The most exciting part of this activity is that it culminates with a refreshing dip in the crystalline waters of the river, which makes it perfect for children and adults alike.
This attraction is a different way to experience zip lines, as you are not attached to a harness, but sitting in a hammock or swing. The height is moderate, making it accessible to all members of the family.
5. Climb up to the lookout lighthouse and slide down.
The lookout lighthouse of Xel-Há is one of the iconic structures of Xel-Há. The lighthouse offers a breathtaking view of the bay and the beautiful surrounding landscape. With a height of 36 meters, the lighthouse is the highest point in the park and can be seen from several kilometers away.
To descend, you can do so using one of the four spiral slides and land in the water.
6. Caves and Cenotes.
Explore the mysterious caves and cenotes hidden inside the park. These sacred places were used by the ancient Maya to perform rituals and ceremonies.
7. Ecological trails.
Walk through the different ecological trails of the park and discover the natural beauty of the Mayan jungle. Be sure to keep your eyes open to spot some of the animals that inhabit the area.
Cycle or kayak through the mangroves of Xel-há and discover the flora and fauna of this unique ecosystem. You will be able to see different species of birds, such as herons and pelicans, and if you are lucky, you might even see a crocodile.
9. Stone of courage.
This 5 meter high platform is an emblematic point in Xel-há and a jump into the water will make for an unforgettable photo. The Stone of Courage is part of the river tour.
10. Hammocks and beach beds.
Relax in one of the hammocks or beach beds available in the park while enjoying the sun and sea. There are also shaded areas with tables and chairs to rest and enjoy a picnic.
Tips to make the most of your visit to Xel-Há
The time (and money) invested in your visit to the Riviera Maya is invaluable, so here are our tips to make the most of your visit to Xel-Ha:
- Buy your tickets in advance. The price of tickets at the park gate is more expensive than if you buy them at the official site. Also, by buying in advance, you can get discounts and special offers.
- Arrive early. Xel-há opens at 8:30 am and closes at 6:00 pm. If you arrive early, you will have more time to enjoy all the activities and avoid the crowds.
- Get to know the park. Download the Xel-há map and point out the places you want to visit, make a route and an estimated schedule.
- Take advantage of the included equipment. With your entrance to the park, you have access to snorkel, life jackets, towels, lockers and aquatic bicycles. Take advantage of this equipment to make the most of the water activities.
- Eat at the park. The park entrance fee includes an unlimited buffet meal at the park’s restaurants. The food is varied and delicious, and you can eat as much as you want.
- Combine your visit. If you plan to visit another of the Xcaret group’s parks ( Xcaret itself, Xplor, etc) consider buying a combo.
- Drink water. It is important to stay hydrated, especially if you are spending the day in the sun. There are drinking water stations throughout the park, so you don’t have to worry about carrying your own water.
- Avoid the lines. If you want to avoid lines at the most popular activities, such as the water slide or whirlpool, try to visit during off-peak hours, such as midday.
- Respect the environment. Xel-há is an ecological park, so it is important to respect the environment and not leave trash in the park. Also, avoid touching or disturbing the marine animals.
- Relax. Xel-há is a unique and beautiful place, so be sure to make the most of your visit. Relax, have fun and let the park surprise you.
Coupons available March 2024
Coupons tested and working.
|15% + MSI when purchasing your Xel-Ha ticket
Available offers March 2024
|Easter XH+ XN
25% discount when purchasing our Xel-Ha + Xenotes package, when using the coupon SSANTAXN24 Valid for visits until April 8, 2024.
|Go to the offer
|Easter XH+ XPF
25% discount when purchasing our Xel-Ha + Xplor Fuego package, when using coupon SSANTAXPF24 Valid for visits until April 8, 2024.
|Go to the offer
|15% off- Adventure things to do combos
15% off in our adventure packages for your next vacations. Xel-Ha + Xplor, Xel-Ha + Xplor Fuego and Xcaret + Xavage Available until March 15th, 2024
|Go to the offer